Sunday 13 December 2015

Looking at Colour Schemes and Fonts to work with

Personal Comment - As I am designing an app for my project I need to consider various colour schemes to accommodate the target audience.  When the user opens the app I want them to feel relaxed and not under any pressure to complete the assessment.  This is a friendly assessment not a test.

At the end of the assessment the person’s likely hood of having symptoms of an eating disorder will be determined by a colour.  As well as a colour the user needs to know what to do next.  How can they help themselves? Get help from Professionals?  Get help from someone who is in a similar situation?

Colour Theory



Personal Comment - In order to select the appropriate colour scheme for my app I decided to look for some information on Colour Theories.  This image was very useful as it showed me the different emotions related to specific colours.  I want the user to feel calm, safe and secure when going through there assessment.  As the user isn't creating a personal profile or saving information they can trust the app and use it efficiently.


The Meaning and Power of Colors

Color has such a subtle effect on our lives that we rarely give it a second thought. Color comes from daylight which contains all eight colors of the spectrum: red, orange, yellow, green, turquoise, blue, violet and magenta. It is also a form of radiation.

Research has begun to validate the importance of color in treating disease. For example, looking at blue light has been shown to lower blood pressure by calming the autonomic nervous system, while red light causes it to rise.

Each color is associated with one of the seven chakras of the body, and every color has its complementary color. Single colors or combinations of complementary colors can be used to treat imbalances in the chakras or illness associated with that bodily region. 

How Colors Affect Us?

Physical 
Restful
Green, Light Blue
Revitalizing
Orange 
Stimulating
Red 
Emotional
Restful 
Sky Blue, Turquoise 
Revitalizing
Peach 
Stimulating
Orange 
Mental
Restful
Indigo 
Revitalizing
Emerald Green 
Stimulating
Yellow 
Spiritual
Restful 
Blue 
Revitalizing
Gold 
Stimulating
Violet, Purple

Colour Schemes found here

http://design-seeds.com/

I want to use chalky calming colours to make the user feel relaxed.  With all the questions throughout the assessment they may feel like it is a test.









Other Colour Schemes found on Google Images




This set of colours is my favourite.  With these I can mix and match to create various colour schemes.  Yes the other colour schemes are nice and would work very well with the app but these in particular are soft and easy on the eye.


Colour Schemes for the App

From the images above I decided to combine colours from each into various colour schemes.  I have also changed the title from Eating Disorder Assessment to Eating Habit Assessment because the app is accessing the users eating habits not the disorder they may or may not have / symptoms of.


Favourite colour Schemes


The last colour scheme is my favourite.  The different shades of blue are calm and relaxing.  Adding white to the buttons and drop downs was also a nice touch as it breaks the colours up and creates contrast.  I will be using these colours throughout my app.


 Cunamh Colour Scheme - From the website

 During the course of my project I got talking to the people from Cunamh and they were talking about sponsoring my app which I thought was pretty cool so I decided to create a colour scheme based upon the colours from there logo to show to them how it would look.  I think the colour schemes look very nice together.  The colours work well together.

Cunamh Logo





Possible Fonts for the App

As well as the colour schemes I felt it was important to also look at possible fonts.  Fonts like Arial, Roboto and Droid Sans are popular for mobile devices so maybe I could use one of them.  My app will be used by people from 12 up so I want to use a font that's clean and easy on the eyes for the user.  The size of the text is also important.  I don't want the user having to ask someone to read for them or needing to squint there eyes to read.


Some free fonts to use for Mobile:


Some Fonts were downloaded from:


Others were already on my computer.

My favourite Font used on the mobile screen is Open Sans.  Its not too think or too thin and is easy to read.

Open Sans


On the App screen



No comments:

Post a Comment